Engineering Manager – Automotive Division
Sylvan, Inc. is a market-leading, trusted industrial services contractor to Fortune 500 companies.
The Engineering Manager will be responsible to provide a qualified project engineer to plan, execute and finalize projects within the engineering budget and according to strict deadlines from the project manager and customer. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party sub-contractor engineering sources to deliver projects according to plan, budget, and schedule. The Engineering Manager will also define the project’s objectives and strategically navigate issues that could adversely impact safety, execution, and quality control. Multi-tasking and time management skills will be essential in managing multiple projects concurrently.
The list below is meant to be a guide and not all inclusive of the daily responsibilities.
- Supervise and direct all Sylvan engineering staff, and sub-contracted engineering staff.
- Assist in estimating engineering hours for RFQ’s that are being quoted.
- Planning and coordination of all engineering manpower, in the office and on-site requirements.
- Have close working relationship with assigned project manager to review the original bid documents and Sylvan proposal to understand the detailed schedule, constraints within the proposed budget, and the Sylvan staffing requirements and available resources for the project.
- Effective, clear & timely communication to project management and engineering team members.
- Attend all engineering review meetings as required.
- Track budgeted hours vs actual hours used on a weekly basis and submit to the project manager and Vice President Operations.
- Provide engineering lead on any project engineering issue. Delegate the assignment to an engineering team member or outside engineering PE if the correct resource is not available from the existing Sylvan engineering team.
- Provide engineering non-conformances to Vice President Operations monthly.
- Provide weekly manpower assignments and working hours for engineering personnel to project manager to be able to maintain the agreed upon schedule.
- Direct all required technical resources such as 3D Inventor, FEA, 3D UN NX 11 requirements, and PE requirements.
- Coach, mentor, motivate, train, and supervise engineering team members and sub-contractors.
- Ensure all designs meet or exceed the customers’ expectations and are within the original budget for all self-performed and sub-contracted engineering.
- Perform yearly evaluations on each team member for proficiency and training for their title.
- Provide technical goals for staff and review quarterly.
- Either provide or hire from the outside engineering assistance with project or warranty problems and provide final direction of any field repair that would need to be implemented to the PM and Vice President.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and 10 years conveyor engineering experience and be able to lead and train the Sylvan engineering staff.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ Mechanical Engineering in the conveyor industry.
- Experience working both independently and in a team environment.
- Can conform to shifting priorities due to demands and timeline changes from Project Manager and customer.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a professional, positive “can-do” attitude.
- Possess excellent communication skills to effectively interface and negotiate.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel; create clearly written notifications and RFI’s.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and in a timely manner.
- Able to identify work scope changes and create detailed change order requests.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org